After two previous Burrinja Climate Change Biennales in 2015 and 2017, and one postponed in 2019 due to gallery redevelopment and then COVID pandemic, Burrinja Cultural Centre will now be presenting the third instalment from 3 December 2022 to 25 February 2023, under the heading THE HEAT IS ON.
Global in nature, national in scope and local in action, the event provides a platform for creative and critical responses to one of the most pressing topics of our time.
A key aspect of the Biennale is its non-acquisitive award exhibition at Burrinja Gallery, which provides a space for artists to engage creatively and imaginatively with aspects of climate change. In addition to its signature exhibition this year’s Biennale will expand across the Yarra Ranges, with opportunities for artists and communities to activate regional sites and venues.
Delivered in partnership with Yarra Ranges Council and Your Library.
Terms & Conditions
Burrinja Climate Change Biennale ART PRIZE 2022-23 | $4,000
Multi-medium non-acquisitive art prize for works addressing climate change
Entries close: Friday, 30 September 2022, 11.59 pm
Applications must be received, either online or postmarked, on or before this day. Late entries will not be considered.
- Artists must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident residing primarily in Australia.
- All works submitted for the Award must be original works by the artist whose name appears on the entry form and be completed between 2019-2022.
- Works should not exceed 2.0 metres in any given dimension.
- Works should not pose any physical risk to the public or cause potential damage to the building or its fittings
- Artists must submit with this entry form:• a non-refundable handling fee of $40
• a one-page Curriculum Vita an artist’s statement about the work (up to 150 words)a full image of the actual work being submitted for judging the Award.(The image must be a high resolution (300 dpi) TIF or JPG digital file.
• Up to two images may be submitted but one of these must represent the artwork in its entirety.
• The file size of image is not to exceed 5mb. PowerPoint and/or pdf files are NOT acceptable.
• Video artworks are to be submitted online only: please provide a link to a webpage for your video to be reviewed.
• Image files should be saved with the following details as the file name: artist’s surname_artist’s first name_title.jpeg. Example: smith_john_climatechange.jpeg)
- Entries are to be either submitted online via the Burrinja website (preferred) or posted. If posting, images need to be submitted on a disk/USB or a link to a video is required.
- Employees of Burrinja and members of the Burrinja Board are ineligible to enter the prize.
- Support material will not be returned.
- There is no limit to the number of entries permitted. A non-refundable payment of $40 including GST is applicable to each artwork entered. A receipt will be issued for each entry.
- A pre-selection committee including the Curator and Manager of Collections, Burrinja will select the finalists. The committee will convene in October 2022. Please note, no substitutes for works entered will be accepted and no correspondence will be entered into once the decision is reached and provided to entrants. Finalists will be notified by Friday, 28 October, 2022.
- Finalists’ work must arrive at Burrinja no later than Friday, 18 November. Late arrivals will not be accepted.
- Finalists’ work must be suitably framed or mounted and ready to hang or otherwise prepared for display. They are to be labelled with the artist’s name, address and title of work.
- Any works damaged in transit or without an appropriate hanging system will not be presented for judging.
- All selected works must be available for display throughout the duration of the exhibition (until 25 February 2023).
- Artworks can be available for sale. A commission fee of 30% + GST is payable on all exhibition sales.
- The panel of judges for the Award will be composed of three persons from the Victorian Creative Industries, one of which will be the Curator and Manager of Collections, Burrinja.
- The judging panel shall solely determine the prize-winning entry. However, the judging panel and Council reserve the right not to award the prize.
- The judging panel’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Burrinja, via Yarra Ranges Council, covers insurance for any loss or damage suffered to any artwork in its possession. Finalists should ensure their work is insured for transit to and from Burrinja.
- Entries will not be received by Burrinja unless free of charge. No payment will be made by Burrinja for freight or any other charge incurred in the delivery and/or return of any work submitted.
REPRODUCTION OF WORKS AND STATEMENTS
- Copyright of the artwork remains the property of the entrant. Finalists specifically permit and authorise Burrinja to reproduce the art work and the artist’s statement by print or electronic/social media for publicity purposes, reports, catalogues and any other publications related to the Burrinja Biennale for a period of five years from the closing date of the exhibition. Due attribution will be made to the artist.
- The winner of the major acquisitive prize will grant Burrinja a non-exclusive, perpetual copyright licence to reproduce the work for non-commercial purposes in electronic and print material. Burrinja will attribute the artist as the author of the work wherever the work is reproduced.
COLLECTION OF WORKS
- The exhibition will close on Saturday, 25 February 2025. Entries, other than the prize-winning entry, sold or donated artworks, are to be collected from Burrinja between Tuesday, 28 February and Saturday, 4 March, 2023. If works have not been collected by 5pm on Monday 6 March, 2023, works will be returned to the entrant by Burrinja via a courier at the entrant’s expense.
Make note of the Booking Reference Number from your confirmation email, as you will need it to complete the application form.
The Burrinja Climate Change Biennale is delivered in partnership with Yarra Ranges Council, Yarra Ranges Regional Museum, and Your Library.