Emerging Artist Take Over
As part of the Burrinja Climate Change Biennale, Burrinja is offering an emerging artist or collective the aerie gallery for a permanent 3 month exhibition/presentation.
This opportunity is open to emerging artists of all artforms in response to the theme The Heat is On. Artists working in unconventional, digital, and/or experiential mediums are encouraged to apply. Proposals can be in the form of an exhibition, an installation, an evolving exhibit or something else.
Artist commissioning fee: $700 inc materials
For more information or to discuss your ideas, please contact Burrinja Cultural Development Producer Toni Main on firstname.lastname@example.org
Emerging Artist Take Over ~ Terms & Conditions
Entries Close: Friday, 30 September 2022 11.59 pm
- This opportunity is made available exclusively to an emerging artist. For the purpose of this project, an ‘emerging artist’ is considered somebody within the first 5 years of their current practice
- Artworks must be original works created by the artist/s and labelled with the artist’s name and title.
- The exhibitor/artist must agree to and abide by the exhibition/(de-)installation schedule.
- All artworks must be safely presented and installation. Burrinja reserves the right to refuse installation of a work if it is deemed unfinished or unprepared for installation.
- Gallery is public access space to the theatre and Lyre Room, and as such can be a busy thoroughfare. Considerations need to be taken when installing 3D, fragile items (ceramics) etc. subject to approval.
- Burrinja reserves the right for final curatorial decisions.
- Burrinja reserves the right to refuse the installation of a work if it is deemed inappropriate for exhibition.
EXHIBITION INSTALLATION & DEINSTALLATION
- Artwork must be installed by the artist(s) with the support of Burrinja staff, unless otherwise negotiated.
- Burrinja will provide (within reason) standard hanging rails, plinths and basic lighting, any additional requirements are the responsibility of the artist(s). NB: Burrinja has a limited supply of gallery requirements that are used throughout the building.
- Burrinja can provide TVs and projectors at an extra cost (subject to availability).
- Burrinja has no storage for aerie gallery artwork, and takes no responsibility for damage during install and (de)installation. It is advised that artists aim to install all artworks on the day they transport it.
- Artwork must be (de-)installed by the artist(s) with the support of Burrinja staff, unless otherwise negotiated.
- It is the artist(s) responsibility to repair walls to return to how you found them.
- Cost for any artwork deliveries are the responsibility of the artist(s) (this includes transit insurance). For suggestions of suitable art couriers please contact Burrinja staff.
- All items sold must remain on display for the duration of the exhibition.
- Burrinja receives 30% commission on all sales.
- Burrinja will facilitate all exhibition sales. Payments of sold artworks will be made to the artist/single nominated representative within one month after the exhibition upon receipt of an invoice.
- Burrinja is registered to collect GST. 10% GST will be included in the final sales price of artwork.
- Burrinja and its staff take no responsibility for the loss or damage to works exhibited at Burrinja, or for any damage or injury caused by the exhibitors or their work.
- Burrinja provides necessary insurance cover for public liability, fire & peril, and holds limited theft insurance covering forced entry only. Any other insurance requirements (transport or transit for example) must be arranged by the exhibitor at their own expense. Excess on any claims is the responsibility of the exhibitor.
OPENINGS AND OTHER FUNCTIONS
- If the artist(s) choose to hold an event outside Burrinja standard operating hours (or to have an expected attendance exceeding 50 ppl), there is an extra fee of $48 per hour (+GST, minimum 3 hours) to cover the costs of a duty manager on site.
- Alcohol may be served at no charge in accordance to the Burrinja liquor license during openings and public programs. Burrinja can supply tables, table cloths (black) and glassware.
- Catering and staffing of any affiliated events must be coordinated and paid for by the artist(s).
- Burrinja and Yarra Ranges Council will promote this exhibition as part of the larger programming of the Burrinja Climate Change Biennale
- Burrinja will provide soft copy marketing collateral (in line with BCCB branding) in the form of a DL flyer and a4 poster. All print and distribution of exhibition marketing collateral is the responsibility of the artist(s)
- Burrinja will support the promotion of the exhibition and related events through its website, newsletter, social media, etc where appropriate.
- Burrinja reserves the right to photograph and reproduce images of artwork in the exhibition, exhibition openings and other related events for publicity or promotional purposes.
- Any further promotional material produced by the artist(s) must include the Burrinja logo and the Yarra Ranges Council logo (please refer to Burrinja style guide). Promotional material must be approved by Burrinja prior to printing.
- All artists are encouraged to promote the exhibition of their work through their own networks.
Please complete form below
The Burrinja Climate Change Biennale is delivered in partnership with Yarra Ranges Council, Yarra Ranges Regional Museum, and Your Library.